The United Arab Emirates has a colorful history; and it has surmounted many challenges, which is why it is a leader in many different sectors. It is now experiencing population growth since many people around the globe go to Dubai for many career and business opportunities. This results in growth in the health sector especially when it comes to private hospitals. The country’s rulers have started initiatives to develop the health care sector not only for local residents but for foreigners too. UAE opens up a lot of opportunities since it has the lowest ratio of doctors.
Dubai Healthcare City (DHCC)
The Dubai Healthcare City was launched in 2002 by His Highness Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum. It is known as the world’s largest healthcare free-zone which is composed of two phases. Phase 1 is allotted for healthcare and medical education and it covers 4.1 million square feet while Phase 2 is for wellness and it is still under development at 22 million square feet. DHCC is located near the Sheikh Zayek Rashid Highway and the Wafi Center.
There are four major divisions to DHCC: Investment, Regulatory, Healthcare, and Education and Research. It has 120 medical facilities and private hospitals. There are more than 4,000 licensed medical personnel and 120 medical and diagnostic laboratories as well.
Steps to Opening a Healthcare Business in Dubai
For you to set up a healthcare business in Dubai, you must have a medical degree, or you must be a director with a relevant professional degree. All the personnel must undergo a certification procedure by the DHA or Dubai Healthcare Authority, and the English language is also mandatory.
The DHA was established in 2007. Its role is to regulate and supervise all the actions of medical professionals, clinics, laboratories, hospitals, and other medical service providers.
The following are the steps in setting up a private hospital or a private clinic in Dubai:
1. Secure a trade name.
The very first step to establishing a healthcare facility in Dubai is to register a trade name. It is required of the investor to fill out an online application form and submit it to the Department of Economic Development (DED).
2. Secure an initial approval of the business from the DED.
The investor has to file another application for the DED to render an initial approval of the business. There are also documents and a passport photocopy that has to be submitted. It is also necessary to acquire approval from the Dubai Municipality.
3. Secure an approval from the DHA.
The DHA is the main authority who is in control of the healthcare services in Dubai. The initial approval normally takes ten days.
The requirements for the initial approval of a new healthcare facility application are the following:
· Emirates ID of the business owner and his partners
· Proposal letter from the owner and his partners or whoever holds the power of attorney
· Copies of passport and visas of the owner and partners
· Layout of the floor plan of the healthcare facility as approved by the Dubai municipality
· Copy of the trade name reservation letter from the DED or free zone
· Affection plan from Dubai Municipality or Ejari and
· DHA undertaking letter signed by the owner, his partners, or whoever holds the power of attorney
5. Submit all the requirements.
The investor or owner have to submit all the documents along with the Memorandum of Association (MOA), lease agreement, and others for registering a private clinic.
6. Acquire the final approval from the DHA.
The owner has to submit all the executed documents, pay the registration fee, and submit a photocopy of the initial approval. Other documents that have to be submitted are the following:
· A valid building contract
· List of the medical director and healthcare professionals
· Final trade license issued by the free zone authority or the DED
· No objection certificate or NOC from the business owner to assign a medical director
7. Acquire a license from the DHA.
The final step would create an account in the DHA portal to secure the license. The owner has to submit all the details of his consultants and personnel who will work in the healthcare facility. The DHA will then verify all the submitted documents and provide a license for setting up a healthcare clinic or hospital.
As you can see, the Dubai government is committed to providing healthcare services and making Dubai Healthcare City the healthcare hub of the world. Should you decide to set up a private clinic in Dubai, you can contact HBS Dubai now.